An employer often gains an insight into a jobseeker's expertise while taking a reference call. A few important points have to be remembered by the employer while he takes a reference call.
An IT employer shouldn’t differentiate between an interview and a reference call. This is an opportunity for you to acquire more information on how IT candidates are assessed by others. Get your list of chosen topics and questions for discussion besides doing your home work.
Following is a list of suggestions for IT employers seeking reference:
1. Would you like your management style to be described in a preferred way (it will help you identify the person you’re communicating with)?
2. Identify work environment and culture that suits the candidate
3. Did the person ever leave a task incomplete? What might be the reason behind this?
4. Does the candidate get along with others very nicely?
5. Did the person play a leading role in any IT project?
6. Is the person a team man or does he prefer working alone?
7. Is there any particular reason for the person to quit his job? Was he terminated?
8. What is the candidate’s area of specialization?
9. Did the jobseeker meet with any disciplinary issue?
10. Will you consider hiring this person once again?
11. Do you need to try anything specific form managing this person effectively?
You’ll need to question the basis on which the candidate includes someone as a reference. You might come across a few things that seem important in determining the probable contribution of your prospective human resource.
The person on the other side might share a couple of thoughts on the candidate, which might help you figure out the true potential or weaknesses of an individual.
Reading between lines is important
During the course of a conference call, you’ll need to venture into areas that the prospect seems to be wary of. It will certainly get you an entirely new perspective for assessing the candidate. Reading between the lines is important as the human expressions often reveal a candidate’s areas of opportunity.